This book is for students who have learnt English as a second (or third, or fourth) language, and are studying at an institution where English is the medium of instruction.
Each of its 10 chapters focuses on a reproduced academic article on an aspect of English for academic purposes – students can therefore learn about language skills from the articles themselves as well as developing those skills in the activities and tasks which follow.
Each chapter develops six strands of academic skills essential for successful study: reading; learning language/vocabulary; writing; researching; studying’ and applying to your own subject. The detailed and focused activities and tasks will help you to:
- Make reasonable knowledge claims
- Become more aware of university culture and expectations
- Write according to academic standards
- Think critically and reflectively
- Respond to ideas in academic articles
- Document your work appropriately and avoid plagiarism.